Friday, December 23, 2011

EPISODE 23: Me and Beverly Johnson: I Shot a Super Model




I wasn't expecting any major occurances for the end of 2011. I've been pretty thankful for the year I've had in general. I've met amazing people, grew into a true New Yorker (lol), progressed tremendously as an artist, and even had the opportunity to shoot the one, enduring obsession of my life--Janet Jackson! So I anticipated just ending the year with my very last photo special and some reflection back on what an amazing year it's been for me. But to my surprise, the incredible journey of my year wasn't going to just fade out the way I had expected. Out of the clear blue, here I was being presented with the opportunity to shoot former supermodel Beverly Johnson. Beverly has quite a bit going on right now: she's starring in the upcoming movie "The Marriage Counselor" (in theaters spring 2012), written and directed by Tyler Perry; she has her own reality show debuting in January; and she has an entirely new product line of beauty, skin and hair care launching in February. So when I was asked if I'd want and be able to shoot her, I immediately said yes!

This was such an awesome blessing. We shot in-studio, in Manhattan. Initially I really wanted to shoot Beverly on location with a really fun concept, something a little out of the ordinary that would tell a story, like at a diner, Penn Station in New York, or in some trendy downtown Brooklyn neighborhood. I like to Google photos of people before I shoot with them so I can get an idea of what photos with them have already been done and what I can possibly do different. But I was putting together this shoot at very short notice, not to mention it was snot-freezing temperatures outside, so it was just too much to try and organize in the time frame I had to work with. I'll admit, I was a little nervous to shoot Beverly. I know, I know, what would I have to be nervous about, right? Well, in my mind, I looked at the fact that Beverly is a supermodel who's been in the business for the last 40 years! So she's worked with countless photographers...some of the best in the world, actually. In other words, it was very humbling to be in a situation to do a photo shoot with someone who's made their life out of being in front of a camera and working with some of the industry's "best." Not to mention, I can be pretty hard on myself. I go into every photo shoot thinking I need to give this person the best photos they've ever had, and Beverly was no exception.

A behind-the-scenes shot of Beverly getting some quick touches
I brought in my stylist, Tish Thomas to dress Ms. Johnson. There were certainly other stylists I could have chosen, but me and Tish work great together. It's also important, especially when shooting with high profile clients, to work with people you trust, who you respect for their talent, and have at least some good chemistry or rapport. Tish knows all my little quirks (lol), how much of a perfectionist I am, and I knew Tish would come with her A-game...and that she did. More importantly, I thought it would be an awesome opportunity for her; watching her career as a stylist grow, I thought this shoot for Tish would be as pivotal in her career as it would be for me.

We did 2 looks with Beverly, although I wanted and had planned to do at least 4. But she was running late to the studio and had another engagement in the city right after our shoot, so our time was limited...and that made me nervous. Would I be able to get everything I needed in the time I had left? Needless to say, I was stressing out...just a little. And if you're a photographer in New York, you know that time is definitely money! But Beverly is a pro. The makeup artist, Yuko Takahashi and hairstylist, Craig Carter were amazing and worked on her like they were in a sweatshop somewhere in a basement in China. When she got in front of my camera I told her, "well I won't give you much direction because, well...this is what you do," and she said, "No. Michael, you give me all the direction you want. This is your shoot...I'll do whatever you ask." In my head, my mouth dropped to the floor, lol. Despite her years of success as a working, respected and history-making model, Beverly has remained so incredibly humble and sweet (and for almost 60, she looks like she's still young enough for ME to date! lol). She was open to whatever I said I wanted to do. What was even more unbelievable was nearly every frame of Beverly looked perfect! Seriously, even the shots of her blinking or in mid hair-swing were awesome, lol. When I showed her some of the shots we had done so far, she was blown away. Once everyone else heard her reactions, they came around to take a look also and their reactions were the same. It made me feel grrrreat. Beverly told me she loved my style, and when the shoot was over she was amazed at how young I am and how long I've been shooting. But the biggest compliment she gave me almost brought me to tears. She looked me in my eyes, and said out of all of the photographers she's worked with in her career, by looking at the photos I just shot, which were yet to be retouched, I was ONE OF the best photographers she's shot with. To hear a compliment like that from a woman of her prestige and experience meant everything to me...and it humbled me at the same time.
Click on photo to view in full size


I realized that Beverly is only the beginning. She's already insisted that we work together again for some things  she has coming up next year, but for me, it was sort of a beginning to a more serious direction in my career. 2012 will be the beginning to a new year of great opportunities, and with that, even harder work. Just because you shoot one celebrity, one major campaign, one magazine editorial, one CD cover, or an amazing model like Beverly Johnson doesn't mean you start to get comfortable in your career. This is the time now I have to push harder, take even greater risks, think even more outside of the box, focus more intently, drive even faster, and strategize even smarter. But I'm so blessed because I have people in my life who love and support me the way they do. And that's what we all have to remember--no matter how many people talk about you behind your back, or how many doors shut in your face, or how many times you fail, just remember that you have people in your corner who love and support you. And even if you feel you don't, you have your faith and you have God.

It's only 2 and a half days until Christmas and I feel like at this moment, I have everything I could possibly want, and I'm so incredibly thankful for the opportunity to wake up and do what I love everyday, and while doing it with some pretty awesome people too. To Mommy, Daddy, Aunt Ninny, Grandmom, Uncle Stevie, Maya, Mom, Rashod, R'kardo, Tay, Lorenzo, Lox, Felisha, Sharita, and the rest of my family and genuine friends who love and support me...thank you, and I love you guys. And to all of you who have taken half an hour out of your day to read this, lol...thank you too, and have a GREAT CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY!


1 comment: