Monday, January 10, 2011

EPISODE 11: Meeting a Legend: Shooting Russell Simmons

(far left): my brother, Rashod (center left): Russell Simmons (center right): Me (far right): Jerris Madison


Earlier this week I had the opportunity to do something not many people get the opportunity to do. Let me explain. It's not as easy as you think to get an interview, let a lone conduct a photo shoot, with media mogul Russell Simmons. How do I know? Because we've tried in the past, lol...and sadly, we were told, "Sorry." But it's not just with us. Russell is very selective with where he interviews and also who photographs him. Walking into Russell's office wasn't like walking into the office of the store manager of Wal-mart. He was behind at least 3 or 4 secret-coded, locked and secured doorways...in his own office! So clearly anyone walking all up in through there, is a UH UH. There aren't a dozen photographers who can claim they've shot Russell in recent years (at least with good photos anyway, lol), but the opportunity to step foot in his office, not as an established artist who's sold millions of records, or someone who travels within his elite circle of millionaire friends or high-profile socialites, but as young entrepreneurs grinding and working our way to the top, was definitely a moment to value, appreciate and hold on to forever.

Meeting Russell Simmons was unlike meeting a lot of other people my brother and I have had the opportunity to meet, and even call friends, over the years. In the past, SUAVV has had extremely big-named celebrities on our covers and within the pages, but there was something about Russell that was different. Maybe it was just knowing his story; knowing how he's created his own empire and worked his way to being a self-made millionaire. Or maybe it was because he literally is a living legend; an icon, if you will, lol! Whatever it is, his presence evoked inspiration and admiration and we were literally taken aback, at least for a moment.



As we sat there, my brother interviewing and I shooting random in-the-moment shots before the actual "shoot", we really observed and realized how much Russell keeps it real! He curses, speaks his mind and says whatever the hell he wants to say, and doesn't really care how you take it, lol. Our good friend, and fellow magazine publisher, Jerris Madison went with us as our groomer, and my assistant (he's really not gonna like that! haha), for Russell's shoot, and a really funny moment happened when Russell was talking about being a vegan, and Jerris, who's a vegetarian, said, "Yeah, a lot of my friends think I'm weird because I'm a vegatarian," and Russell quickly and sharply replied, "Fuck them! Fuck 'em!" LOL. We...cracked...up! It was so blunt and real, Jerris couldn't believe his response. But that's Russell.

I was honored to take photographs of Russell. Even though I was on a VERY tight time-frame of shooting, and wasn't able to do my usual amount of test shots, or do a variation of styles and looks, my intention with what I was given, was to hopefully create some of the best photos of him that I've ever seen (which might not be hard, because I usually Google people and check out their pictures prior to me shooting them, just so I can see what images are already floating of them out there). Although, you know what? I have to be honest in saying that overall, shooting Russell was more than just trying to achieve great photos, but really use that opportunity to learn and be inspired and grow from that moment in every aspect to be BETTER. And I'm all about inspiring others and the really cool thing is, so is he. Through his books, organizations and charities Russell tries to spread a message, inspire and provoke awareness, and more than his legendary or celebrity status, I think THAT'S something to really admire. Make sure you check out Russell's latest book, "Super Rich"! And keep your eye out for him on the cover of SUAVV's first print issue coming SOON!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Mike! I'm not tripping about assisting you 'cause that is what I did. That experience changed me in a great way and I'm glad I was there and apart of the moment. Thanks a lot.

    I'm STILL laughing at Russell's 'F*ck Them' response. Classic!

    ReplyDelete