Sunday, January 29, 2012

EPISODE 24: My Superman: Portrait of An Uncle

My Uncle


My Uncle was like Superman to me as a kid growing up. He was fast, he was strong, and I always thought he was pretty indestructible. In a lot of ways, he was more like a big brother to me than my uncle, mostly because we're only 11 years apart. My uncle and I also share artistic talents--an inherited ability from his father, my grandfather--being an amazing portrait/sketch artist himself. So just as I did with my dad, I wanted to take my uncle's portrait and capture him exactly how I see him in my mind and with my eyes.

If you were to ever have the opportunity of knowing my uncle, then you would see this image and know that in every way, it perfectly captures who he is--a man of simplicity, with an easy-going nature, larger than life-- not necessarily in size (although he is a big guy lol), but in his presence, his character and his heart. He's an athlete, always has been. Star football and track and field competitor; built tough and solid; not a giant by height standards, but can easily make any man feel small. Although his stature--from the viewpoint of him walking towards you on the street--could be considered a little intimidating to others, there in his face lies the truth and character of who he really is. His face tells the story of a man who was my protector, as a boy; my advisor, my champion, my teacher, my supporter; a loving father and husband, a doting son, and a loyal brother. Here is the portrait of a man who will, to me, forever be known as my Uncle Stevie.

No comments:

Post a Comment